How to undelete files in AIX on IBM Power
When a file is deleted on AIX, its contents is not destroyed. AIX only marks the filesystem space as free, so your data is still there. With the undelete solution from Compunix, you can recover easily this deleted data.
The solution (verified by IBM) works in all disaster situations were files have been deleted, such as:
- a user typing 'rm -r *'
- your system was compromised and some files were deleted
- a software bug that erased files
- crfs was executed on an existing JFS2 filesystem rendering all files inaccessible
To recover your data, follow these three steps:
- Step 1 : Maximize your recovery chances.
In order to improve your recovery chances, it is important to take no actions that could worsen the situation. Filesystem on which deletion occurred should not be modified or updated.
- Download the free tool, a small program that lists all recoverable files.
- Example recovery deleted files on a JFS2 filesystem.
- Example recovery a JFS2 filesystem destroyed by crfs command.
When you see files and data that you want to recover, purchase and download the full licensed version, and start immediately with the restoration of your data.
Recovery flow chart.